Android Oreo has become a thing now and with Xiaomi messing up the Oreo update on the Mi A1 multiple times, installing a custom ROM is the best way to go. Here’s our simple guide on installing any Android Oreo-based ROM on your Xiaomi Mi A1.
- TWRP installed (Guide Here)
- TWRP Installer ZIP File
- Android Oreo 8.1 GApps Package
- Oreo Based ROM (You can choose a different ROM too)
In case you have not installed TWRP recovery on your phone, here’s our guide on How to Install TWRP recovery on your Xiaomi Mi A1
Let’s start with the flashing process of the Android Oreo ROM.
1)First, switch off your device.
2) Now boot your phone into TWRP mode by pressing Volume UP + Power button together.
Your phone will ask for pin/pattern depending on what you use to unlock your phone from lockscreen. Use the same pin/pattern that you use to unlock your device from lockscreen.
3) Take a backup of your current ROM, just in case if anything goes wrong, you can simply restore this restore this backup and avoid bricking your phone. Go to backup, select boot, system and data and swipe to complete backup. this will take a few minutes.
Now go to Wipe, and then swipe to factory reset. this will not wipe any of your photos, vidoes so don’t worry about that but all the installed apps and app data will be cleared, so if you want any of that application’s data to be preserved, do take a backup of it.
4) Now go to install, and select the ROM zip file
(In this case we are using the Lineage OS ROM based on Android 8.1 for the Mi A1. You can choose any Oreo based of your choice when they are released in future)
5) Swipe to confirm Flash, and the ROM will be flashed now.
If you find any RED Line and it shows ERROR, then don’t worry, it’s normal.
6) Now again go to install, select the TWRP installer zip file and swipe to confirm flash.
The above mentioned step of installing the TWRP installer zip file is very important, else you will end up losing the TWRP on your device, so do not skip this step, it’s very important.
DO NOT INSTALL THE GAPPS PACKAGE NOW, FOLLOW THIS GUIDE STEP BY STEP.
7) Now go back to the TWRP menu, click on reboot, and select recovery and then click on DO NOT INSTALL.
8) Now your phone will boot into TWRP recovery. It will again ask for pin/pattern which is the same that you had used previously.
9) Now go to install, select the GApps package and swipe to confirm flash. GApps will be flashed on your device.
Optional - If you want to root your Mi A1, then install the Magisk Zip file. If you don't want to root then you can skip this.
10) Now click on reboot, and select Do Not Install.
That’s it! You have successfully flashed Android Oreo ROM on your Xiaomi Mi A1.
Credits – XDA Developers